Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Callback Part Two - Shaw

Sunday's callback went really well. I underestimated how much work I had done Saturday night. When I was trying to put together the text work, dialect, and intention that night it seemed overwhelming, but the next morning when I was going over the scene I realized it had sunk in. Yet another thing I actually teach my kids (work a little over several days instead of cramming it all in on one day) but forgot about its merits when putting it into practice myself. Physician, heal thyself.

My husband went out of town Sunday morning so I had to throw myself on the mercy of my friends, who graciously watched my kiddo while I ran off to be Actress. Zoe freaked out a little at first since she, for the first time in months, decided NOT to take a nap that day, but she chilled out eventually - enough that I felt comfortable leaving her. I'm starting to realize that I could probably write an entire blog series about being a mom, returning to acting, and all the insanity that entails.

The audition itself was a lot of fun. There is so much you can't really see in a scene until you can actually read it aloud with someone else who is 100% invested (ESPECIALLY when it is elevated language like Shaw or Shakespeare), and when I read my second scene with an enthusiastic partner it was...magical. We were both totally caught up in it and had a wonderful time. We walked out in the hallway afterward and he said, "That was great...I'm actually sweating!" I laughed. The director praised us up and down afterward saying we did a great job, and mentioned our chemistry. I don't know if this particular director is normally this free with praise or if she says this sort of thing to anyone who doesn't actually fall on their face, but regardless, it was nice to hear. And you always know when you gave a good audition, even if they don't say so.

The post-audition high is always a wonderful experience. I was so tired by the time I collected the baby and got home, though...the preparation and the stress of leaving Zoe with a sitter for the first time combined with the regular stress of an audition was emotionally exhausting.

So now we wait. No idea how long we wait, but I feel I did the best I could, and that's worth something, at least.

No comments: